Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Fête de Saint François de Sales

“Pray as if it all depends on God. Work as if it all depends on you. Let God’s will be done.”

“God works gently and gradually. He draws us nearer one step at a time.”

The distance between a thought and the corresponding action needed to implement the idea takes the most energy often mixed with much humility.

A thousand mile journey begins with a single step. But it is difficult to travel alone. Saint Francois can lead us to the place where God dwells. He dwells everywhere. But sometimes at a particular time in a special place for whatever reason, we can feel His presence more intimately.

There are no glossy travel brochures with itineraries or enticing colorful pictures capable of adequately portraying that place. But when we get there, we know that we have arrived. Because our body, our mind, our heart and our soul tell us so.

Saint Francois was consecrated Bishop of Geneva on December 8 1602.

In 1610 he established a convent to care for the poor and the sick with Sainte Jeanne de Chantal.

Saint Francois died of a cerebral hemorrhage on 28 December 1622. His last word was “humility”. He believed that the key to love of God is “prayer”. He was declared a saint in 1665 and proclaimed a doctor of the church in 1877.

He is the patron saint of writers!

During a recent retreat in the French Alps, I felt very privileged to pray at the very chapel where Francois often prayed and gave retreats. There I felt particularly close to God and to all those I love very dearly.
Saint Francois de Sales:




The Church on Monts Voirons where Saint Francois prayed & gave retreats:













Notre Dame des Voirons. Looking and protecting all those we love and have placed under her protection.

Path leading to the chapel that is over 500 years old. Saint Francois must have walked by that tree now an old stump!

Catherine wants to become a Sister of Bethlehem some day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Dad,

Thank you for sharing these beautiful words and the photos. Your faith is a wonderful gift to us. Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Frances de Sales is one of my favorite books.

With all my love,
Kitty

Anonymous said...

Dear Louie,

These photographs on the St. Francis De Sales entry are wonderful. Keep up the good work. What camera are you using and how many meggabits, how many pixels. It is doing a good job. How much did it cost? I should get a digital camera

Also I recieved your book. Thank you. Now let me do something in return. Email me your adress and I will send you a scapular in a letter. This will force me to go down to Kaufers and buy a few more.

Anonymous said...

You are truly inspirational and God loving. I promise to pray for You as well as Mommy for as long as I live. I love you very much and was so glad to read about your successes en ile Maurice! Hope to be back there one day sooner than later to visit.

All my love with God's Blessings~