Sunday, September 10, 2006

Worship...

Dear Children and Grand children, I wish I could upload this sega on this site. The words and the beat of the music are both captivating and inspiring.

“Sa séga la mo kompoz li pou rémercié per Laval pou tou di bien ki li fin fer pou nou.

Tou lai banané le 9 septembre, 4 ère bo matin mo lévé mo allé, mais na pas kroire mo alle la sasse tangue, fer kouma mwa owa va konné. Dépi la veille lor tou simin ena tapaze kouma carnaval, dimande nimporte kel morrissien li a va dire ou li alle prille per Laval..."

Translation from Créole to English:

Serge Lebrasse: “I composed this Sega in gratitude to Father Laval for all his intercessions for us Mauritians!

Every year, on September 9th I get up at 4:00 AM and I start walking. Do not hazard a guess that I am on my way to hunt hedgehogs. Follow me and you will find out where I am heading?

Starting on September 8th along all Mauritian highways and byways there is a carnival atmosphere. Ask any Mauritian where is he headed? He will joyfully answer that he is on his way to pray at Father Laval’s sepulcher.

Who knows how numerous are the miracles attributed to father Laval or how many have been delivered from misery, thanks to Father Laval? The sense of peace at his mausoleum is indeed conducive to prayer! Indeed in Mauritius, inspired by Father Laval, no one pays attention to color or religion. We are all but one nation under God on our pilgrimage to go and pray. Father Laval was so universally good that he never thought of sorting coffee beans according to color!

Today, thanks to father Laval, both the lame and the blind can sing aloud that they have been cured through prayer!

So much so, that any day of the week, people head on to Father Laval’s shrine with candles and flowers in hand to offer their hopeful novenas. Unfortunately over one hundred years ago, God called Father Laval to His side. But to us Mauritians who need him so much, he will forever be present.

Dear All,

I hope that the words of that popular Sega can convey the reverence all Mauritians feel towards Father Laval!

Marcel Cariapen, the kind owner of the famous ‘Poivron Restaurant’ invited me to accompany him on his annual pilgrimage to Father Laval. We first gathered at his house and after praying in front of a statue of the Immaculate Mary, we set off at 12:15 PM on our 16 mile journey.

What a trip that was, both for the body and the soul! Along the way people of all creeds and color had set up tents to shade the pilgrims from sun or rain while offering free refreshments. We prayed as we walked. Under the midday tropical sun I could visualize Jesus walking for forty days through the desert! Prompted by the Spirit to share in His life along the way, I integrated the mysteries of the rosary into our family lives and that of our friends. Example: One of the 5 Joyful Mysteries: ‘The Nativity’ – I thanked God that my grandmother called my dad Desire after Father Laval, since he was born on September 9th, Father Laval’s feastday!

One of the 5 Luminous Mysteries: ‘Changing water into wine’ – I asked God to continuously change the quality of our spirit through the ages so we can eventually reflect a truly great vintage in His image!

One of the 5 Sorrowful Mysteries: ‘The Agony in the Garden’ – Although our legs were getting weary and the soles of my feet were burning due to the chemo treatment, I realized how trivial that pain was when compared to all that Jesus humbled Himself to suffer at the hands of man to free our souls from sin.

One of the 5 Glorious Mysteries: “The Crowning of Mary – Queen of Heaven and Earth” I thanked God that at the end of life’s tunnels there is His glorious light we can all aspire too. I visualized the supernatural beauty Mama is a part of now as she exchanged her crown of thorns for one of light. I prayed that we get to share it all together some day!

Marcel’s family including the grandchildren came to meet us for 6:00 PM mass after which he drove us back home. They are a most beautiful family reminding me a lot of our own! I look forward to you meeting and tasting their superb food for body and soul on your next vacation here. Nathalie is expecting her 3rd child at about the same time as you Christine and their daughter Christine helps people who are suicidal when she is not working in the family operated restaurant!

On the way home, I simply had to ask Marcel to stop to take a picture of the statue of Father Laval set up under a special flood of light at the entrance to the Municipality Office of Port Louis for the occasion.

Can you imagine the uproar if any kind of religious symbol was ever placed outside a public building in the U.S.? Once again, I remind you that while tiny Mauritius has a predominantly Indian and Muslim population, it sets an example of interfaith tolerance and reverence that the world ought to learn from in order to become a better and safer place!

God bless you all. Hugs and kisses from Bopbops.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will keep Nathalie in my prayers!